Memorial to the Hugenots: The Revocation of the Edict of Nantes
New-York Historical Society
Mary Tillinghast, Stained Glass Decorating Co.
Creation Date
Restoration Date
This nine panel window, approximately 14’ x 7’ was designed by Mary Tillinghast and possibly fabricated by Church Glass & Decorating Co. The lower left corner is marked with the copyright of the artist. The lower right displays the line “Mary Tillinghast fecit 1908. In 1908 the wall in which it resides was an exterior wall, but with a building addition in the 1930’s it became an interior wall and a large light box artificially lighted the window from that time on.

Over the years significant amounts of dirt collected between the plates darkening the entire window. Tie wires failed and panels were released from their support bars.

The window was removed to the Studio for restoration. Plates were removed, collected dirt vacuumed out, glass cleaned and broken glass repaired with Hxtal NYL-1. New perimeter leads matching the original profiles replaced failing leads.

The failing original window frame was reproduced is steel faced with wood by Studio del Arte of Brooklyn, NY. This allowed for a secure installation to hold the weight of these heavy panels. A new lighting system was designed and installed to replace outdated and burned out florescent light bulbs.